12.12.2009

Gumballs for Bibles

December 11

Gumballs for Bibles

Today, the girls got these (scroll to the blue shirt) cute shirts in their advent.

Last month I bought this and this for the girls, just because they needed one. The girls were so thrilled to have their very own real bibles, you know, one with all the stories in it. They carried around their prize possessions with such pride and it's sparked a whole new thing in our house.

Since getting her very own bible, Abigail came to me one morning with items she had collected from her room and said she wanted to have a yard sale to raise money to buy bibles for kids.

Jason and I knew right away that this was something we couldn't just say okay, sure we'll get to it, it was something we needed to act on. We knew the Lord was speaking to Abigail and working through her to do this for others. We spent some time talking and thinking about how we could raise money, which organization we'd give it to, and came up with ... gumballs for bibles.

We decided that all the money we put in our gumball machine (it takes anything from a penny on up to a quarter) will go to a missionary from our church to buy bibles for kids in their area.

I gave the girls their shirts this morning and talked again about what we're doing. We're hoping the gumballs will run out soon so we can get our first gift off to the missionaries soon.

It's funny to think I was so against, opposed, and very upset about this gumball machine coming into our house and today I have a complete change of heart. Every time I hear the turning of the handle and little door being opened to grab a gumball, I smile and think of the joy other boys and girls will feel when they too have a bible of their own.

Christmas Color: Silver (silver-haired people)
Scripture reading: Luke 1:11-18

No comments: